Thursday, December 07, 2006

Highland Park Skate


If you don't want to go downtown to skate, then do the REAL kind of skating at the new skate park in our area. Jose Huizar, a Councilmember, has been pushing for this for awhile now and it is finally done. Cost about a million dollars!! Pretty high for a skate park, must be a good one. I hope.

The thing that happens sometimes is that the City puts all this money into a skate park thinking it can do it the same way as a regular park. Then, while it might look amazing, it is a complete waste because it doesn't "skate well". The transitions don't line up, the lines aren't good. I really, really hope they got together with some actual skaters and listened to their ideas and feedback. Otherwise, this will be a million dollar ghost town and everyone will be bummed.

But I am being optimistic. It is going to be great no matter what for the kids to skate all day and stay out of trouble. SKATE!

Here are the details.

Garvanza Skate Park Groundbreaking

December 9th, 2006 11:00 am

Corner of Ave. 63 and Meridian


Dead Kennedys "Hop with teh Jet Set"
Fugazi "Instrument"

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This things been in the works for a bit and, correct me if I'm wrong, but they got a company who never did one before. At any rate, it's a shame to spend a million dollars for concrete, when we need to have our sidewalks repaired and trees planted along North Figueroa.

My two cents.

Big Mo

Monday, December 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yep. Exactly Big Mo.

Thanks for the comment and you got it right.

I gotta get over there to test it out!

Wednesday, December 13, 2006  
Blogger unidentified said...

I was personally pushing this when I 1st heard about the park by the tracks. I was
typically ignored by the powers that be.
I can't believe some of the ignorant comments from those in power when skateboarding is soooo damn huge.
I was pushing the guy's that did 'Etnies'
in Lake Forest, 'Site Design'.
http://www.sitedesigngroup.com/
These guy's are the shit.
I guess even with skating being so coorperate, some still have the outlaw taste in their archaic thinking. ( Too bad they're not correct)
Hope it does'nt end up like the So. Pas. one!

Sunday, December 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah Warm Jet! I have seen that website before and looks so great. Never seen the So. Pas one but I imagine it is awful? Gotta check into that one. Thanks for the info.

Monday, December 18, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Warm Jet,

I wasn't at the meeting you described, but I would rack it up to experience. I manage a multitude of people and what I find is that my some, mostly my younger colleagues, expect you to believe what they say without anything to back them up. Typically all will notice if you are prepared.

So it goes without saying: Did you call a rep from the company to come on out with you? Did you have a list of their projects? Did you have verifiable feedback from the constituents of those parks? What's their take and what would you do different? How does the Garvanza project different and how is it the same? And believe it or not, how were you dressed? Respect goes both ways, these board people aren't bad, they don't know how to deal with you. Know your competition and see what works and what doesn't. The lesson is that there's a lot of work in making anything work and that there are agendas, some political and others pride. Yours, from this comment was to get it built by this company.

Most of my experience with boards comes from the difficulty of making an informed decision. The better and verifiable the information is, the better the outcome and favor toward you. I'm actually very glad that you showed up and spoke. Most people don't and most people just give-up if they don't get it their way. I hope that isn't the case.


From my understanding this project is funded to build, but not to run. They DON'T have the money to run it. What to do now?

Cheers,

Big Mo

Wednesday, December 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home